The Open Water Scuba Diver course is an entry-level certification course designed to give you the necessary skills to safely conduct open water dives. Some of the many skills you will learn include buoyancy, proper weighting, marine conservation, equipment assembly, proper dive planning, and maintenance. The course covers all the basic knowledge about equipment, physiology and the marine environment while training students to perform basic skills underwater. This course is the key to start exploring dive destinations around the globe or just in your backyard. This course is broken into three parts.
- Online, academic - To be taken at your leisure prior to your open water dives.
- Two confined swimming pool sessions - Conducted at the Avon and Silverthorne recreation centers.
- Four open water checkout dives - Midway, Utah. We travel to "The Hotsprings" in Midway, Utah to conduct our open water dives. This is an extremely unique setting, in a 60 foot deep natural hot spring, that is 90 degrees year round.
Once you sign-up you will receive an email with instructions on how to get logged into your online course.
Note: You must select a pool date that occurs before an open water date.
- Online academic course
- All additional course materials
- Rental of tanks, weights, wetsuit, regulator, dive computer and buoyancy compensator
- Pool sessions
- Open water dives at the Homestead Resort, Utah
- Beaver Divers T-Shirt upon graduation from course
- Dive Training Magazine
- Transportation to Utah (We are happy to arrange carpools)
- Accomodations in Utah - We dive in the afternoon on Saturday and in the morning on Sunday. This enables students to spend just one night in Utah if they desire. We encourage students to spend multiple nights if their schedules allow. The dive site is within minutes of great hiking, biking, horseback riding, golf and skiing in the winter. Our students receive a discounted rate at the Homestead Resort (directly across from the dive site) so be sure to book your room through Beaver Divers. The resort also provides a free skier shuttle to Park City in the winter time.
- Mask, fins and snorkel - We require our students to provide their own mask, fins and snorkel. These are very specific fitting items. If fitted improperly or if they are of poor quality, it can easily ruin a dive trip. We sell a wide range of these items that fit any budget. We give each student a $45-$65 tuition rebate towards the purchase of these items. Please do not buy these items at department stores! They do not sell dive adequate gear. If you already own your own mask, fins and snorkel, please bring it in so we can properly fit you at no charge.
SCUBA and SKI all in the same day!
The Homestead Resort offers free skier shuttles and discounted lift tickets (Epic Pass holders ski/ride Canyons for free!) to our students staying at their resorts. Please give us a call at 970-949-1012 for more information about skiing oppurtunities during the course.
- Item #: openwater